TANAY IS AN OPEN BOOK
WAS FOUNDED 1606
BASED ON TERCENTINARY RECORDS
ROQUE C. PORCIUNCULA
Town Of Tanay
A small village on Monte Tan-Ay, now Inalsan, under the jusrisdiction of Pililla from 1573, Tanay bacame an independent parish under San Ildefonso in 1606. In 1620 it was transferred to San Antonio (Pantay). When San Antonio was burned in 1639, the people moved to the present site and founded the town in 1640.
Rawang Pass and Kalinawan Plateau in the mountains of this town were strongholds of the Filipinos in the Revolution against Spain and in the Filipino-Amrican War.
In April-May, 1900, the American forces occupied the town. With the establishment of the Civil Government in 1901, the town became a part of the province of Rizal.
The first stone church in this town was finished in 1680. The present church was built in 1773-1783. Two irrigation dams were built in 1790-1808. A school for boys and a school for girls were opened in 1821. A stone bridge built across the Tanay River in 1854-1856, was destroyed by the typhoon and flood of September 27, 1864, but rebuilt in 1877. A municipal building was erected in 1888 and a schoolhouse in 1893. These public improvements were achieved largely by voluntary contribution.
-PHILIPPINES HISTORICAL COMMITTEE, 1939
TO THE PRESENT AND FUTURE YOUNG GENERATIONS OF ALL TANAYANS:
Forty-seven years ago, these acacia trees were the sanctuaries of a group of carefree but ambitious boys of the town.
They frolicked, built dreams, and shared frustrations under the cool shades of these trees.
These boys are now senior citizens of Tanay. Most have become successful in varied fields of endeavor, some have stayed in town, others have resided in distant places and acquired glory and fame and the rest have gone to the Great Beyond.
These men have handed themselves into what they call the Acacia Walking Corporation to honor these acacia trees.
To the youth and the future generations the AWC is leaving as a legacy the love and care for these acacia trees and our beloved town, Tanay.
Through the years, these trees shall remain the symbols of undying fellowship brotherhood, and incomparable camaraderie as it was yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
LIVING LINKS WITH THE PAST
These two acacia tress (Samanea saman), bequeathed to us by a still unknown planter, have stood on this hallowed patio for perhaps nearly a century, mute witness to ourreligious devoutness under the patronage of San Ildefonso.